When you install WordPress for the first time, it will comes prepackaged with a couple of default themes. While these will be enough to get a blog online, you may want to install a different theme to give your website a more professional look and feel with more functionality. To install a new theme, please see the following steps.
- Login to your WordPress admin area. This is generally accessed by going to http://www.mydomain.com/wp-admin (replacing ‘mydomain.com’ with your actual domain name)
- Once logged in, click on Appearance > Themes
- Once on the themes page, click on the Add New button at the top
- On the next screen, you will be able to select from the following: ‘featured WordPress themes’, ‘popular WordPress themes’, ‘latest WordPress themes’, ‘search for a specific theme’, or ‘search for themes with specific features’
- This will return a list of themes to meet your criteria
- When you see the theme that you want to install, simply bring your mouse on top of the image. This will reveal the Install button, Preview button, and Details button
- Click the Install button. If you want to apply this new theme to your live website, click Activate Theme